Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Beyond the yellow tape

You know what bugs? The idea that society has managed to manipulate situations to make them seem immortal. We were put in this world to love, to love unconditionally, to enjoy the beauty of life and our surroundings, to engage ourselves with one another without limits, to live a life without worry and heartache. So our purpose was altered a bit, so what. Challenges are there to make us better, heartache is there to make us stronger. In the end, all things can be defeated.

People say that it's bad if I fall for you. It's been proven once before, I get it. But still. WHY? I don't get it. I'm beating myself up with this. How could we never be if were never to begin with? It's that thin thin line. It's that stupid line that I can't get over. I see it, I know it's there, but I crossed it nonetheless. It's like one of those scenes you see in movies where no one ever thinks of passing because of the stories they've heard.[Think of an island & a deserted road that no one goes through because their afraid.] You find yourself walking by a crowd of people drawn to scene only because a few children curiously made their way down the road and never came back and in front of them is that yellow caution tape surrounding the scene. You get curious so you make your way through the crowd to the front of the line, stopped by the yellow tape. You look and all you see is a plain sight and an empty road. You wonder why no one was moving, so staying quiet you listen to those around you telling their own story of what they claim to know and their own reason for the closed off area. There's no other sign, no sign of danger, no sign of slippery floors, no sign of dips or sharp turns, no police officer to stop you from going in. Your mind has mixed emotions, should I be sad? should I be worried that someone I know might be involved? should I hope that no one was hurt? You stand there, waist and hands touching the caution tape, thinking to yourself, 'look at how many people are here, how many people have been standing here talking with one another, telling their own story of what happened but not really knowing. look at these people just watching and waiting for someone to tell them what really went down instead of taking matters into their own hands and making sure the kids are safe.' Then you think to yourself, 'watching and waiting won't give me the answers I'm looking for.' So you take that brave step, that step that no one else around you dared to do - you lift up that yellow caution tape and make your way down the road aimlessly. The crowd falls silent, watching to see if any of their stories match up to what might actually happen. You make your way through not knowing where to go and slowly that feeling of others around you disappears. Walking down the road fearlessly, you stop in awe. There are no words you can possibly think of saying. The scene is indescribable. You think to yourself, 'no wonder no one ever wants to go back, it's beautiful.' Time passes and once you get settled in, you find yourself wondering about those other 70 people - 'are they still standing on the other side of that yellow tape? that same yellow tape that doesn't restrict you from passing through but only gives you a perfect reason to just be careful.' All of a sudden it all comes together. Caution tape - because you truly don't know what you're in for. Caution because you might not even want to go back. But then you really see,you really see that that yellow tape was actually an invitation, an invitation to take a chance that not many people would think of taking. One that people are so used to standing on the opposite side because it's the "safe side", the "safe zone". So they're standing there, watching and waiting for any sign of a life to appear and you wish that they can enjoy the life you have right now with you instead of wasting time waiting for great opportunities to be given to you. Sometimes, you just gotta take that chance, that chance that you see no one would.

For me, I've stood in that crowd for too long. I've watched. I've waited. I've listened. I've made that mysterious road my lowkey mission. I've wondered of what could be. I've lived in the 'what ifs". But I'm done with waiting, I'm done with wishing and wondering. I'm done with watching. I'm done being like everyone else and just standing there making up their own stories. And I'm glad I did. I'm glad I'm done with all of that. I'm glad because that road led me to pure and genuine happiness, that road led me to you.

No comments: